What do I do about "firmware restore failed?"

Re: What do I do about "firmware restore failed?"

its a mac problem.. download windows version of season pass and use it on a windows machine.. took 2 days but finally got boot camp works even in a parellel desktop!!.. : )

I had the some thing when I had to do a restore on my AppleTV.

3 times I tried to do the Jailbreak and it wouldnt work.

Finally changed the Mini USB cable and then it worked fine first time

I have 2 apple TV's at home, both running 5.3. I succesfully jailbroke both of them a month ago and I hadn't had any problems with them the whole time. A friend rang me and said he was having trouble with his apple tv, and he couldn't get the jailbreak to work based on the instructions I had given him (just sent him links to jailbreaking 101 thread).

I thought I would make sure everything still worked so I restored one of my Apple TV's to 5.3 on itunes and then did the whole jailbreak process from scratch again. After connecting it to my computer I clicked "create IPSW" and at the end of this process it came up with the error "Firmware restore failed" , it didn't even prompt Itunes to open and run the scripts how it usually did. After a couple eveninings of retrying I still haven't managed to fix this problem.

I plugged in my other Apple TV that was still jailbroken and booted it tethered using this updated Seas0npass and it works fine, so I've narrowed down the problem to being the jailbreaking.

I don't understand why this problem is occuring as to prior to upgrading Seas0nPass a couple days ago I was able to do the whole jailbreak process with ease on my mac using these 2 apple Tv's as well as having jailbroken a couple of friends ones for them. I know my USB cable is fine as my other Apple TV boots tethered perfectly fine.

Can someone help me with this? Is there a way to downgrade my Seas0nPass to the previous version that worked or is there something that I'm doing incorrectly? Any workarounds? I see a few people have said use a Windows, I don't own a windows and I'm not sure why I would have to use a Windows now considering this was fine on my Mac less than a month ago? Cheers

I'm having identical challenges with windows 7. It can't be a Mac thing.

I'm going to try some extensive testing tonight and then post my findings... At the moment I'm pointing the finger at the latest Seas0nPass update seeing as that's the only thing that has changed between the last 15 times I've jailbroken Apple TV's and now. Hopefully I can get it working tonight or atleast narrow it down to something. Is there anyone that isn't having this problem using firmware 5.3 and having the latest Seas0nPass when they try and jailbreak from the start?

Yes... I received the "firmware restore" error as well on my new Macbook Retina Pro jailbreaking 5.3.

I was successful using SP 9.3 on my ancient PC running Windows XP.

Your Itunes up to date as well? I'm going to test both my old itunes and up to date itunes.

To anyone still receiving this error of "firmware" restore failed I have some feedback.

I got my hands onto a friends macbook, Itunes was fully updated, I downloaded the latest seasonpass and the JB worked fine.

That solved my JB problem for my apple TV.

I then decided to try the exact same thing on my 2010 Macbook, fully updated Itunes etc. The latest seasonpass was giving me the error of "firmware restore failed". I still don't understand why this is happening on my mac with the latest seasonpass and itunes etc etc.

I then snooped through my computer and managed to find an older version of seasonpass which I still have the install files for. I installed it, it asked me if I wished to upgrade and I selected no. I then did the Create IPSW and the JB worked fine. This was a lucky find and a great workaround seeing as the newest seasonpass is giving me grief yet this old one still works like a gem. I can upload the older version of seasonpass for download if anyone is having issues with their current up to date version and wants to try this older one which seems to work better for me.

I had the same error on a mac. When it did work, SP 0.9.4 would only spit out truncated SP ispw files. I managed to restore an to un-jailbroken ispw on a windows machine with SP 0.9.3 and iFaith. Only then would SP 0.9.4 create an jailbroken iswp. Older versions of SP should be made available, IMHO.

Me too. Re: What do I do about "firmware restore failed?"

Firmware restore failed?

I am getting the following error message when trying to jailbreak my ATV2 using the latest version of Seas0nPass (9.4): "Firmware restore failed?". My ATV2 is operating on the latest OS and my iTunes is the latest version, 11.1.3. I am attempting the untethered jailbreak on my iMac. Seas0nPass appears to be creating an IPSW and I am apple to get the ATV2 into DFU mode. However, once it is detected, this error appears and iTunes fails to automatically reopen and start the firmware restore.

Has anyone else run into this and knows what to do?

AJ

© 2014 FireCore, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Terms | Privacy