aTV2 iOS 5.3 Jailbroken PlexConnect.app (Plex App)

Use putty for windows, a terminal for OS X or linux, or this for iOS Serverauditor

ssh root@ipaddress <--------replace ipaddress with your aTV ip address for example mine is ssh root@192.168.1.101
default aTV password = alpine

Follow these easy terminal commands. I have installed this on multiple atv2’s and so have others, set your dns to auto not manual. This automates nearly the entire aTV plexconnect installation for you. ssh into your aTV and enter these commands after your navigated to the folder where you placed them (nitoTV is the easiest way to install openssh for ssh access, also server auditor ). Copy and paste this one liner using your favorite ssh client:

apt-get -y install git; rm -R /Applications/atvjailbreak; cd /Applications; git clone git://github.com/wahlmanj/atvjailbreak.git; cd /Applications/atvjailbreak; ./installatv.bash

##once complete the aTV will reboot and you will have a new plexconnect button. Just sign into myplex and you should be all set.

##Optional log back in to your atv via ssh after your atv reboots and type this if you want more apps by spoofing your iOS version to a higher IOS after navigating to the spoof.deb location:

dpkg -i spoof.deb

Hopefuly the autoupdate plist works if not you can manually update by typing this into a terminal window after you ssh into your atv:

update.bash

You must be successfully signed into myplex in your PMS. Also you must have your PMS port forwarded and pointed at your PlexConnect host for this to work right on your router if using it outside your LAN. If PlexConnect resides behind for example a synology box you must open these ports as well for it to work outside your lan tcp/udp.

If you only desire PlexConnect to work for your local content and don’t use myplex you can ignore the paragraph above this. If you share your content you still would need to be successfully signed into myplex in your PMS with your ports properly forwarded to you PMS host on your router or gateway.

Note - Keep in mind this will prevent AirControl to work since it uses port 80 which is required by PlexConnect.

I just registered to thank you. You are a genius! I don’t know why this wasn’t posted on the Plex forum. Maybe I didn’t look hard enough after a few hours their. It was awkward when my friends wanted to watch trailers and ended up in Plex.

FYI,

If you need to spoof the version, you need to ssh to the atv and change directory to /Applications/atvjailbreak

Then run the spoof command. Though some channels won’t work.

I have successfully installed PlexConnect but I can’t logon to my PMS? What could i be doing wrong? How do I look at my log files? Thanks.

Sign into myplex on your PMS then sign into myplex on your aTV. Ensure your proper port is forwarded and pointed to your PMS host on your router and PMS says successfully signed into myplex with the green check and PMS says under remote access Fully accessible outside your network.

Dubz. Thanks for responding. I have signed in on my PMS and then my ATV but still no go. I keep getting the following: 18:08:33 PlexAPI: We failed to reach a server. Reason: Unauthorized
18:08:34 PlexAPI: No Response from Plex Media Server
18:08:34 PlexAPI: We failed to reach a server. Reason: [Errno 61] Connection refused
18:08:34 PlexAPI: Servers (local, plex.tv, MyPlex): 1
18:08:40 PlexAPI: No Response from Plex Media Server
18:08:40 PlexAPI: We failed to reach a server. Reason: Unauthorized
18:08:40 PlexAPI: No Response from Plex Media Server
18:08:40 PlexAPI: We failed to reach a server. Reason: [Errno 61] Connection refused
18:08:40 PlexAPI: Servers (local, plex.tv, MyPlex): 1

I have changed the following in the settings.cfg file:
enable_plexgdm = False
ip_pms = 192.168.1.15

.15 is my pms. I have not changed my ATV DNS server. Is that required?
Thanks in advance.

I forget to mention, the only port forwarding i have is on my pms, port 32400. I am trying to get this on my local network, so I didn’t think I would need it.

Anyone care to hazard a guess what’s going on here?:

Apple-TV2:/ root# apt-get -y install git; rm -R /Applications/atvjailbreak; cd /Applications; git clone git://github.com/wahlmanj/atvjailbreak.git; cd /Applications/atvjailbreak; chmod +x installibaa.bash; ./installbaa.bash
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
git is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.
Cloning into ‘atvjailbreak’…
remote: Counting objects: 3366, done.
remote: Total 3366 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 3366
Receiving objects: 100% (3366/3366), 30.41 MiB | 2.66 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (651/651), done.
Checking connectivity… done.
Checking out files: 100% (2604/2604), done.
chmod: cannot access `installibaa.bash’: No such file or directory
-sh: ./installbaa.bash: No such file or directory

the ATV is a 2nd gen jailbreaked V5.3 …It has Kodi winning just fine , but I’d really like to run PlexConnect too.
ideas?
thanks in advance

apt-get -y install git; rm -R /Applications/atvjailbreak; cd /Applications; git clone git://github.com/wahlmanj/atvjailbreak.git; cd /Applications/atvjailbreak; chmod +x installatv.bash; ./installatv.bash

Thx dubs , I figured something had changed in the package but had no idea which. the new one-liner worked like a charm.

Awesome! I had the old atv2 already jailbroke but hadn’t used it in a few years. I did this today and have a plex server running on my Synology NAS with 100’s of movies & 1000’s of mp3’s. I had been using CrystalBuntu for several years on an atv1 but recently moved to OpenElec. I have Plex Server running on the Synology and love being able to connect from anywhere with my phone or an iPad. Thanks for this, I love running Plex clients and the server is incredibly flexible to use.

Faster one liner that uses about 10kb compared to 30mb:

apt-get -y install git; rm -R /Applications/iosjailbreak; cd /Applications; git clone git://github.com/wahlmanj/iosjailbreak.git; cd /Applications/iosjailbreak; ./installatv.bash

Could you please help? Am I doing it wrong:

Apple-TV:/Applications root# apt-get -y install git; rm -R /Applications/iosjailbreak; cd /Applications; git clone git://github.com/wahlmanj/iosjailbreak.git; cd /Applications/iosjailbreak; ./installatv.bash
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Package git is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package git has no installation candidate
rm: cannot remove `/Applications/iosjailbreak’: No such file or directory
-sh: git: command not found
-sh: cd: /Applications/iosjailbreak: No such file or directory
-sh: ./installatv.bash: No such file or directory

same problem

Having some issues running the first line:

Apple-TV:/Applications root# apt-get -y install git; rm -R /Applications/iosjailbreak; cd /Applications; git clone
E: Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plex.list (URI parse)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
rm: cannot remove `/Applications/iosjailbreak’: No such file or directory
-sh: git: command not found

any ideas?

I’m using Putty on windows 7

Ran into the same problem, you need to run “apt-get update” first then you can copy and paste the one liner

Thanks so much for creating this script. My ATV2 messed up and installed InFuse. What a load of rubbish IMHO. I was nearly buying a Roku but this has just saved me.

Thanks again

This is a great script! Unfortunately I have a bit of an issue with it currently on my aTV 2 running iOS 6.2.1. see aTV 2 / iOS 6.2.1 issue: "Add Site" button is added but gives "site could not be verified" error · Issue #1 · wahlmanj/iosjailbreak · GitHub for details (I posted the issue where the code is so it can be discovered more easily). Thanks!

I used this today and it worked great (after a lot of grinding of gears and whirring).

Thanks, dubz!

YMMV.

Hi,

The error i receive after a (sucesfull) installation when starting the new icon on the ATV2:

Parse Error
http://localhost/PlexConnect.xml
Entity: Line 2:parse error : Start tag expected, ‘<’ not found
Path command: ‘PlexConnected,xml>PlexConnectUDID’ unrecognized

Is this fixable? If not can someone please also explain me how to remove the PlexConnect app from my ATV2?
Now i’m afraid it takes some resources and interfears with other apps (infuse)

thx

I figured something had changed in the package but had no idea which. the new one-liner worked like a charm.