How to edit / delete a source I added to XBMC?

does anyone know how to edit/delete a source I added to XBMC? I added a SMB source from my network but it has a typo so cannot be found, it just sits there when I search sources but I cannot delete/edit it. tried pressing menu or play/pause button but no success. Any idea?

Phil

Re: How to edit / delete a source I added to XBMC?

SSh into the machine and edit the "sources.xml" found in /Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/userdata/sources.xml on your AppleTV.

"odinb" wrote:

SSh into the machine.

ooops. so no GUI for dummies like me?

You can SSH using WinSCP on a windows box or muCommander on Mac OSX. Then everything except the text editor for doing the changes will be GUI-based (and even that one depending on how you count).

There is a simpler way then editing an xml file.

Select the source and hold down the menu button on your AppleTV remote. It will then launch a contextual menu with the option to remove source.

Done.

BTW, found this on the xbmc online manual....specifically this page

Google is your friend.....

"ejsjrnc" wrote:

There is a simpler way then editing an xml file.

Select the source and hold down the menu button on your AppleTV remote. It will then launch a contextual menu with the option to remove source.

Done.

BTW, found this on the xbmc online manual....specifically this page

Google is your friend.....

I expected this but did not succeed as I get no context menu when tried this approach. will try again...

"Pippo3000" wrote:

I expected this but did not succeed as I get no context menu when tried this approach. will try again...

Hm, tried this. Have to correct my initial statement. I can delete the source once added if I select Video and the I see the sources and can delete from there. But this are the sources I added via SBM and which got a 'nice' name like DVD, Movies or Kids. However, I once added a source to the search list, i.e. when I want to add another source then I get the menu where I can select e.g. from SBM, uPnP etc. and here I once added a SBM source which I misspelled. ~ instead of -. And that one I cannot seem to delete from the list. Any ideas? Maybe I should post a screenshot but wouldn't be able to tell how to make one on the ATV, well except by taking a real photo.

Phil

if it doesn't give you the option to remove source in the context menu, then the only other option would be to copy the xml file mentioned before and delete it using a text editor, save the file and copy it back to the AppleTV overwriting the file there.

my sources.xml file looks like

Video Playlists
            special://videoplaylists/

Movies
            /Users/frontrow/Movies/

NewStuff
            smb://192.168.1.105/NewStuff/

iPod Movies
            smb://192.168.1.105/iPodMovies3/
            smb://192.168.1.105/iPodMovies2/
            smb://MACBOOK/ipod movies/

If I wanted to remove the NewStuff source, I would delete

NewStuff
smb://192.168.1.105/NewStuff/

using a text editor (notepad on windows, textedit or something similar on OS X) and save the file, then copy it back to the folder.
When you relaunch XBMC, the source should be gone from your list.

Just wanted to let you know that it worked. Got the stupid source deleted. Though - as I tried to explain before - I did not really mean 'sources' but the 'links' I can use to add sources from (Hm, if that helps to explain what I mean), anyway: they solution was to edit another files but the sources.xml, cannot remember the name but it was in the very same folder.

Happy camper again
Phil

This is obviously a problem with the interface. Hopefully someone from Boxee is monitoring this thread and this gets fixed in the next release.

edoras's picture

Here's a simple way to delete the media source for APple TV 2 - [HOW-TO] - Removing Video Source from XBMC List (Apple TV 2)

I am not a Fan of Apple... I am Apple...

© 2014 FireCore, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Terms | Privacy