Custom firmware can't be restored

Re: Custom firmware can't be restored

I always get an error even restoring the original IPSW whether trying to restore it via Snow Leopard running on a VM or from my Windows 7 machine. I have tried iReb for Windows which is supposed to prevent these types of errors and it seems I can only enter DFU when the Apple TV is plugged into the wall as well as via USB.

Can one of you who has been successful at restoring the original IPSW answer the following?

1. Do you only have the USB cable plugged in or both the USB and power cable?

2. Do you enter DFU mode prior to restoring it?

3. Do you restore the original IPSW that was downloaded by Seas0nPass or do you do a standard restore via iTunes?

Thanks.

To finally get the custom firmware to restore, I had to:

1. Use my Windows 7 x86 machine to perform the restore (my Win 7 x64 machine and Snow Leopard VM kept giving me an error even after following the next steps)
  2. Enter DFU mode using iReb - sometimes, I had to plug in the power cable since the ATV would go through phases where it wouldn't enter DFU when presing Menu/Play (Link for iReb: http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/products/view/ireb.snow)
  3. Apply the custom firmware

Once I applied the firmware, I had problems using Seas0nPass to do the tethering as described here: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/3806

So, I tried following the commands identified in the thread but kept getting an error which I now realize was normal ([darwin_transfer_status] transfer error: timed out)

Instead, I ended up using the Win32 version of the tetherboot (found here: https://github.com/msftguy/syringe/downloads) and the following syntax:

tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66

Once booted up, I experienced the problem with WiFi not working so I started over with a custom firmware created using this process: http://ijafri.com/2010/12/16/jailbreaking-apple-tv-on-ios-4-2-1-with-pwnagetool-guide/ and confirmed WiFi was properly working.

I have got the same set up as you, with with a Win 7 host and Mac OSX guest. Are you doing anything special to transfer the IPSW to the windows box? I've done this several times and always get error 21 when trying to apply the firmware in iTunes in windows. I feel like either there is a problem with the IPSW or I'm not actually getting into DFU mode.

Thanks.

RogueQuery wrote:

I have got the same set up as you, with with a Win 7 host and Mac OSX guest. Are you doing anything special to transfer the IPSW to the windows box? I've done this several times and always get error 21 when trying to apply the firmware in iTunes in windows. I feel like either there is a problem with the IPSW or I'm not actually getting into DFU mode.

Thanks.

To transfer the IPSW to the Windows box, I have the VMWare Tools installed on the OSX VM (I believe they were already installed when I first booted up the VM) and there's a VMWare Shared Folder icon on the OSX desktop. From the VM settings (Options tab), I was able to setup a shared folder to my Windows 7 hard drive to allow me to transfer files between the 2 machines.

I just came across this thread which sounds like pretty much the same solution: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91490. Hopefully, there will be something in there that may help you get it going. Keep in mind that I had success restoring the IPSW from an x86 machine and have not tried my x64 laptop since. iReb should indicate the Apple TV is in DFU mode. This may require connecting the power cable before pressing the Menu/Play buttons as I experienced (then disconnecting the power cable once in DFU mode).

Thanks for the reply.

I've switched PCs as I've read that error 1600 could be linked to a USB port.

At this point, I'm really just focused on the Jailbreak, so I copied the IPSW off of the virtual machine via SMB mapping between the guest and the host (I'm using virtualbox, not VM Ware) to the new PC. From there, i downloaded iReb and followed the instructions in the post. I was able to confirm that it was in DFU mode (even saw the driver install in XP), opened itunes and the ATV didn't show up. So I tried unplugged everything and did it again. This time, the ATV showed up, but I got error 1604 during the stage that says "preparing the ATV". I unplugged and tried it again and this time it actually seemed to install, but .......

It wouldn't come out of DFU mode. I got the rapid flashing light and rebooting / pulling the power didn't seem to help. Now I'm wondering if I have have a bad IPSW. From what I've read, if the jailbroken IPSW is installed correctly, even without the teathered boot, the ATV will come up with a blank screen, and I've got the damn "connect to iTunes".

Anyway, I'm going to leave it this way and see if there is something else I'm missing.

RQ

One more possible solution to this problem. Yesterday i've been trying a lot with the jailbreak. I've always received 21 or 1600 error from iTunes when was trying to restore from custom firmware. And the automatic SeasOnPass script made to force iTunes restore appleTV wasn't working. But after an hour of googling i've noticed that the actual size of the custom firmware made by SeasOnPass is only 22 Megabytes, while the original firmware was ~200 Mb. So i've decided not only delete custom firmware but also find and delete the original firmware downloaded by SeasOnPass. It is located in ~/Documents/Tether. After i deleted both original and custom firmware files, next time i used SeasOnPass everything was exactly as it described in manuals: no errors and iTiunes were started to update ATV automatically.

Now i'am a happy owner of Jailbreaked ATV with the AMAZING XBMC on it.

PS. XBMC - is everything you'll ever need to watch your home collection on the big screen. Really.

Lucky you!

My original firmware AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw has 280MB (279.991.056 bytes)
while my custom firmware AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_SP_Restore.ipsw has 279.7MB (297.699.228 bytes).

I also deleted both files several times before but the error stays the same.

I also want to have XBMC and PLEX! I envy you ;-)

So, after a few days of struggling, I've finally gotten it to work.
My final solution was:
1. create a virtual machine with OSX on it
2. Use seas0npass to create the ipsw
3. Transfer to windows
4. Put a fresh install of thhe official firmware on he ATV in windows
5. Use the ireb utility to get my ATV into DFU mode (without ireb, I felt it was mostly FU mode)
6. Install the modified firmware in windows with power connected (this seemed to succeed for me several times, however it was usually followed up by the rapid flashing of the light. I Believe that, when done correctly, it will have slow flashing of the light ot solid wihte.)
7. Extract the DFU and boot files from the firmware
8. Use the teatherboot exe to boot the device from windows

I followed these steps 5 times between last night and today. It worked today and the only difference was the cable. Yesterday I used a cheap one that came with a throw away cell phone that I bought in England, and today it was from a blackberry. I have too small a sampling to say that this has a causal relationship, but there seems to be some correlation. Also interesting to me is that the final successful load of the firmware actually threw error 16004 in iTunes, but ended up in a good state, whereas yesterday's attempts ended in success messages from iTunes, but the device stuck in FU mode.

Anyway, the moral of my story is: I think that there is something to the posts about the cable making a difference, I also think that people need to be sure that they're in DFU mode.

HTH

--RQ

Same problem with new version 0.6.9

iTunes says "preparing for software restore ..." and then error 21 pops up. It doesn't even start to restore.

I am thinking this may has something todo with DFU mode? I know that it is described a lot here and on the Internet
but the procedure should be: plugin usb cable and wait until white led lights for a second and then hold menu and play button for 7 seconds (until the light is flashing fast). Right?

Afterwards the led is not on any more or should it be blinking or something?

/ Tom

Solved error 21

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I did it. I am now a proud owner of a jailbreaked Apple TV 4.2.1 with installed Plex and XBMC. Finally this devices is allowed to have a place in our living room :-)

What the problem was? I guess it had something to do with DFU mode but additionally I updated iTunes today (but I don't know if this had really something to do with it).

What I did in contrast to the last 100+ tries? I plugged in both the USB and the power plug (yes I know: we only should power the device when doing a tethered boot, but I did it anyways). So I plugged in the power and USB plugs and waited until ATV started (just a minute or so). Then I pressed the down + menu buttons and held it for 7 seconds to initiate a reboot. I released the buttons and when the light flashed up once (indicates startup), I pressed and held the menu + play buttons for 7 seconds (until the light flashed very quickly). But don't press the buttons too long. When the light is blinking it's time to release. Afterwords I unplugged the power plug. If I remember correctly the led is constantly blinking when the device entered the DFU mode correctly.

After this procedure I started Seas0npass and it took over perfectly (including restoring the custom ipsw with iTunes and all that stuff).

By the way: This procedure worked also for the tethered boot besides that I didn't unplug the power plug then.

I did this on my regular Intel MacBook with latest Snow Leopard and iTunes installed and hope that my little story could help you guys too! If it doesn't work the first time, try again to boot tethered by following my steps. I am sure that this is the problem you all encounter.

May the force be with you, always!

/ Tom

© 2014 FireCore, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Terms | Privacy