Using external drive

hi all

So here is my plan: apple tv 2 with aTV Flash connected via ethernet (or wi-fi) to an airport extreme (with an external hard drive connected to the airport).

I know that the atv can access the external HD with the media on it.

so here is my question: once i point the atv in the direction of the drive, will my movies etc. show up in the apple tv menu? i.e as if i was connecting to my iTunes library? or will i have to browse to select them?

:simple version: apple tv connects to/finds (Non NAS) drive with media on it. Will media only show up under "media" tab, or is it possible for the movies to show up in the "movies" tab? (like they would if the aTV were connected to iTunes)

If it doesn't Already, please consider adding it as a feature, oh firecore dev team :)

thanks in advance.

Re: Using external drive

I have a lot of interest in the response to this. I previously had the ATV1 with ATVFlash connected to a RAID1 configured external HD and it worked really well, but it was frustrating to not have access to Netflix and other streaming sources so I abandoned the setup to go to Boxee Box, but this can't manage my itunes well. So, I'm now following a similar path to what you've taken (maybe) - depends on the answer you receive. It would be ideal if the movies showed up under movies instead of media as you mentioned (the same way it worked with the ATV1).

james's picture
Staff

The AppleTV 2 works a bit differently than the ATV1 in a few regards.

• The Movies & TV Shows menus are only used for rentals.
  • All iTunes content is listed (buried) under the Computers menu (E.G. Computers --> My iTunes Library --> Movies)
  • If using aTV Flash (black) to stream directly from a NAS drive, this content will appear in the Media menu.

Through the Media menu you can setup Favorites, which are essentially links to specific folders on the drive connected to your Airport Extreme. Many people setup Favorites for things like Movies, TV Shows, Kids Movies, etc... These Favorites will appear right in the main menu, which allow you to get to your stuff much quicker.

James
Have an idea for Infuse? Tell us.

Thanks for the reply James. I never knew that the ATV2 worked in this way. In that case, I will be purchasing my copy of aTV Flash as soon as my ATV2 arrives in the mail.

I just have 2 more questions, if you wouldn't mind.

1: If I move iTunes-purchased (protected by FairPlay) content to my external drive, will i still be able to play it? i.e Will the apple TV authorize it like you have to on a Mac/PC?

2: you mentioned streaming from a NAS drive. does connecting an external hard drive Via USB to an Airport Extreme count as such, or work in a similar fashion? I saw a post which detailed how to connect an ATV as such, but it didn't specify if the drive was connected to the Airport, or how to set up the drive to be used in such a manner.

it was this post------> http://support.firecore.com/entries/20322512-connecting-to-a-mac-pc-or-nas-drive

once again, thanks so much for helping me out.

james's picture
Staff
Jack Shizz wrote:

1: If I move iTunes-purchased (protected by FairPlay) content to my external drive, will i still be able to play it? i.e Will the apple TV authorize it like you have to on a Mac/PC?

Protected iTunes content is not yet supported, but we're hoping to support it in a future version.

Jack Shizz wrote:

2: you mentioned streaming from a NAS drive. does connecting an external hard drive Via USB to an Airport Extreme count as such, or work in a similar fashion? I saw a post which detailed how to connect an ATV as such, but it didn't specify if the drive was connected to the Airport, or how to set up the drive to be used in such a manner.

it was this post------> http://support.firecore.com/entries/20322512-connecting-to-a-mac-pc-or-nas-drive

once again, thanks so much for helping me out.

Yep. A USB drive connected to an Airport Extreme will work just like a NAS drive.

James

james wrote:

The AppleTV 2 works a bit differently than the ATV1 in a few regards.

• The Movies & TV Shows menus are only used for rentals.
  • All iTunes content is listed (buried) under the Computers menu (E.G. Computers --> My iTunes Library --> Movies)
  • If using aTV Flash (black) to stream directly from a NAS drive, this content will appear in the Media menu.

Through the Media menu you can setup Favorites, which are essentially links to specific folders on the drive connected to your Airport Extreme. Many people setup Favorites for things like Movies, TV Shows, Kids Movies, etc... These Favorites will appear right in the main menu, which allow you to get to your stuff much quicker.

I've not been able to get the NAS to connect using the current equipment I have (ATV2, D-Link 325) - at least not the way I had hoped. I have an itunes server on the DNS325, but it doesn't seem to find anything when I connect. If its going to show up under computer or media, that'll work too, but its a shame apple setup the menu the way they did.

I heard that iTunes severs were not supported, and that media HAD to come from an actual library.

Not TOO sure, but I remember someone saying this. maybe just do what I do and add an external drive to your router or something, or set up an actual library on a cheap comp. and leave it on 24/7.

james's picture
Staff

Unfortunately iTunes Servers are not compatible with the AppleTV.

With aTV Flash (black) you can access the iTunes files (music and non-DRM video) directly from a NAS but the iTunes playlists will not be available.

James

Maybe this is a dumb question, but has there ever been an attempt to simply load standard iTunes to the AppleTv as a software program that can be navigated as you would if it were on a desktop?

james's picture
Staff
dcteague wrote:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but has there ever been an attempt to simply load standard iTunes to the AppleTv as a software program that can be navigated as you would if it were on a desktop?

A fair question, but unfortunately normal Mac apps cannot be used on the AppleTV.

James

Any chance there will be an update that would utilize the mini-usb port to connect an external HD? That would simplify things dramatically for me and probably others.

© 2014 FireCore, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Terms | Privacy